Skin discoloration can deal a blow to your self-esteem
Many people experience brown spots and pigment changes at some point in their lives. These blemishes appear when too much melanin is produced by the skin in a concentrated area. Age, medication, genetics, and sun exposure are just a few of the triggers associated with hyperpigmentation.
Getting to the root of the issue
Before we can recommend the best option for brown spot removal, we need to first establish the pigmentation type. Spots can come in many different forms:
- Freckles – Small, flat, circular, and usually uniform in colour. These spots may be genetic, or appear with sun exposure before fading in winter.
- Sun Spots – These may look like freckles, and in some cases appear to be raised itchy warts. They’re caused by overexposure to the sun, and while usually harmless, they may be early warning signs of skin cancer.
- “Liver Spots” or Age Spots – Large, dark and flat brown spots on the face and hands, also known as solar lentigo or lentigines. They most commonly appear in middle age, but can also form earlier from sun exposure.
- Moles – Small dark brown spots that range in colour, size and protrusion. They can be caused by sun exposure, pregnancy, skin type and genetics.
- Melasma – Brown or tan patches on the face, typically in women of childbearing age. May be related to sun exposure, medications, genetics, and/or hormonal changes.
- Actinic Keratosis – Scaly, thickened, and/or warty lesions on the skin, either brown or reddish in colour. This condition may be an early indicator of skin cancer.
Finding a treatment for your brown spots
When you find a brown spot on skin that was once clear, talk to a dermatologist. Since pigmentation changes on the skin can be a sign of something more serious, we suggest you always seek a specialist for advice before starting brown spot removal treatment.
Laser therapy or IPL photorejuvenation will give your skin a more even tone.
Also known as a photofacial, this treatment stimulates collagen production and skin regeneration.
This powerful but gentle laser treats damaged skin, wrinkles, uneven skin tone and more.